Current Student Resources


The class I want to take is full - what can I do to get in it?

  • For ECE classes, see the ECE Student Affairs Office in Trailer 380, Room 101 or email

  • For other department classes, see their undergraduate advisor

How can I change to the computer engineering major from another major?

First, consult with the ECE Academic Advisor and review the College of Engineering requirements. Then, students may petition to enter the computer engineering major when the requirements below are met.

  1. An overall UCSB Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 AND
  2. Satisfactory completion at UCSB with a grade point average of 3.0 or better of any five classes including at least two Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) classes and two Computer Science (CMPSC) classes from the following: Mathematics 4B, Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) 10A-B-C and 10AL-BL-CL, 15A, or Computer Science (CMPSC) 16, 24, 32 and 40

Can I participate in the University of California's study abroad program?

Yes - the UCSB Office of the Education Abroad Program (EAP) is dedicated to making the experience of such study available to as many qualified UCSB students as possible. EAP allows students to continue to progress toward their degrees while living and studying in some of the best academic institutions around the world.


For more information about EAP, contact the College of Engineering liaison, Frances Fouch -

Who do I contact if I have curriculum questions?

To receive a Computer Engineering degree from UCSB, students must satisfy three sets of requirements: major, college and university. As a first point of reference for curriculum questions, go to the CE Curriculum webpage. For additional questions, contact the following:


  • MAJOR (Computer Engineering degree requirements): ECE Student Affairs Office - Trailer 380, Rm 101 | (805) 893-8292 |
  • COLLEGE (College of Engineering general education requirements): College of Engineering Office of Undergraduate Studies - Harold Frank Hall, Room 1006 | (805) 893-2809 |
  • UNIVERSITY (UC, Santa Barbara general education requirements): College of Engineering Office of Undergraduate Studies - Harold Frank Hall, Room 1006 | (805) 893-2809 |

Not sure? Contact the ECE Student Affairs Office - Trailer 380, Rm 101 | (805) 893-8292 |

What computer science course should I take first?

The first required computer science course is CMPSC 16 - Problem Solving with Computers I is designed for those students who have some programming background. If you have any questions or doubts as to whether you are knowledgeable enough for your first computer science course, we suggest that you first take CMPSC 8 - Introduction to Computer Science. This will help you gain basic exposure to computer programming and it can also be used as a math/science/engineering elective. Although this is not required for graduation, it is a valuable tool for your own personal knowledge and can be used as a free elective.

I want to take an ECE or CS course but the prerequisites have changed - what should I do?

You will need to take the new prerequisites. Students are responsible for any updates or changes in prerequisites. Check the UCSB General Catalog, ECE Student Affairs Office (for ECE courses) or the CS Student Affairs Office (for CS courses) regularly for updates and changes in the curriculum.

What is the minimum grade that I must have to pass my CE core classes?

All required math and computer science classes require a C or better to pass and all ECE classes require a C - or better to meet minimum prerequisites for later classes in ECE. For all other courses taken at UCSB, a letter grade of D- or better is considered passing but may be insufficient for use as prerequisites for future courses.

I am having difficulties registering for a class even though I meet the prerequisites - what should I do?

For ECE courses, visit the ECE Student Affairs Office in Trailer 380, Room 101 or email


For other departments, contact the department undergraduate advisor

What's the current job outlook for computer engineers?

According to the "2017-18 PayScale College Salary Report - Highest Paying Bachelor Degrees by Salary Potential" is listed with an early career pay at $70,300 and mid-career at $116,000.


For additional information, the College of Engineering has an excellent Career Services web page that helps undergraduates and graduate students locate jobs and internships.

Are there internship and job opportunities available for computer engineering students?

Santa Barbara and the Goleta area are known as being a part of the technology corridor between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Many technology companies are located in our area and contact us seeking students who are interested in participating in internship and employment opportunities. The ECE Student Office regularly sends out Umail email notifications to students about these opportunities.


Students are also advised to initiate direct contact with companies and to discuss internship and employment interests with faculty members since many have their own research labs and also have contact with local industry.


UCSB Career Services has an official website for jobs, internships, and campus interviews called Handshake. In addition, Handshake serves as a gateway to subscription services that are free for UCSB students. Also, check out the College of Engineering's Internships & Career Services web page that has information about careers, internships (research and industry) and networking opportunities.


Annual Career Events occur throughout the year and are a great opportunity to see which companies are looking for interns. This is also an excellent chance to network for employment after graduation.

Who do I contact If I am interested in undergraduate research opportunities?

The College of Engineering's Undergraduate Research Opportunities web page has information such as How & When to Get Started, Research Programs and more.


Also, consult directly with CE faculty members who a have similar interests so they can steer you in the right direction. Both faculty research interests and research areas are available on the CE Program website under Areas of Research.

Can I participate in the UCSB Technology Management program?

Yes - students can participate in UCSB Technology Management Program (TMP).


The Technology Management Program's educational programs include classes in management, entrepreneurship, new product development, marketing, and much more taught by world-class scholars, highly successful business lecturers and entrepreneurs.


The program's New Venture Competition (NVC) has launched new ventures including several EE and CE senior year projects.

Question Not Listed?

Contact the ECE Student Affairs Office
Phone (805) 893-8292

Contact ECE About...

  • Information on ECE Courses (CS Courses - go to the CS Department)
  • ADD Codes for ECE Courses
  • Changing major to CE
  • ECE Exceptions (Course Substitutions)
  • Non-CE Majors Who Want to Take ECE Courses
  • CE Advisor Assignments
  • CE Senior Elective Form
  • CE Major Progress Checks
  • CE Course Scheduling and Planning
  • Faculty and Teaching Assistant Office Hours

ECE Student Affairs Office

Office: Trailer 380, Rm 101
Phone: (805) 893-8292

Contact CoE About...

College of Engineering Undergraduate Affairs Office

  • General Education Requirements
  • Graduation Requirements
  • EE / CE Degree Clearance
  • Petition for Graduation Matters
  • Late Add/Drop Exceptions
  • Academic Probation
  • UCSB/COE Exceptions (course substitutions other than ECE)
  • Education Abroad Program (EAP)
  • Transfer Students

Office: Harold Frank Hall, Rm 1006
Phone: (805) 893-2809