Current Students

Top 4 Questions

The class I want to take is full - what can I do to get in it?
  • For ECE classes, see the ECE Student Affairs Office in Trailer 380, Room 101 or email
  • For other department classes, contact the department's undergraduate advisor
How can I change to the CE major from another major?

First, consult with the ECE Academic Advisor and review the College of Engineering requirements. Then, students may petition to enter the computer engineering major when the requirements below are met.

  1. An overall UCSB Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 AND
  2. Satisfactory completion at UCSB with a grade point average of 3.0 or better of any five classes including at least two Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) classes and two Computer Science (CMPSC) classes from the following: Mathematics 4B, Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) 10A-B-C and 10AL-BL-CL, 15A, or Computer Science (CMPSC) 16, 24, 32 and 40

Acceptance into the major will be based on UC grade point averages, applicable courses completed, and space availability. All students considering changing majors into Computer Engineering are required to meet with the ECE Academic Advisor during their first year.

Can I participate in the University of California's Education Abroad Program (EAP)?

Yes - the UCSB Office of the Education Abroad Program (EAP) is dedicated to making the experience of such study available to as many qualified UCSB students as possible. EAP allows students to continue to progress toward their degrees while living and studying in some of the best academic institutions around the world.

For more information about EAP, contact the College of Engineering liaison, Frances Fouch -

Interested in the BS/MS Program?

A program offered by either the ECE or CS departments.

BS/MS options available for Computer Engineering undergraduates:

Applications for the program are usually due at the end of the spring quarter of the junior year. As this is an accelerated program, it is expected that you have completed all the required courses for the CE major including all the junior required courses. GRE exams are not required to apply.

To check the status your BS/MS application in ECE, contact Gayle Gonzales, Graduate Admissions Coordinator

More Questions

Who do I contact if I have curriculum questions?

To receive a Computer Engineering degree from UCSB, students must satisfy three sets of requirements: major, college and university. As a first point of reference for curriculum questions, go to the CE Curriculum webpage.  For additional questions, contact the following:

  • MAJOR (Computer Engineering degree requirements): ECE Student Affairs Office - Trailer 380, Rm 101 | (805) 893-8292 |
  • COLLEGE (College of Engineering general education requirements): College of Engineering Office of Undergraduate Studies - Harold Frank Hall, Room 1006 | (805) 893-2809 |
  • UNIVERSITY (UC, Santa Barbara general education requirements): College of Engineering Office of Undergraduate Studies - Harold Frank Hall, Room 1006 | (805) 893-2809 |

Not sure? Contact the ECE Student Affairs Office - Trailer 380, Rm 101 | (805) 893-8292 |

What CS course should I take first?

The first required computer science course, CMPSC 16 (Problem Solving with Computers I) is designed for those students who have some programming background. If you have any questions or doubts as to whether you have the sufficient background for your first computer science course, we suggest that you first take CMPSC 8 (Introduction to Computer Science). This will help you gain basic exposure to computer programming and CMPSC 8 can also be used to fulfill the Math/Science/Engineering elective requirement. 

I want to take an ECE or CS course but the prerequisites have changed - what should I do?

You will need to take the new prerequisites. Students are responsible for any updates or changes in prerequisites. Check the UCSB General Catalog, ECE Student Affairs Office (for ECE courses) or the CS Student Affairs Office (for CS courses) regularly for updates and changes in the curriculum.

What is the minimum grade that I must have to pass my CE core classes?

All required math and computer science classes require a minimum grade of a C to meet prerequisites for later classes in ECE. For all other courses taken at UCSB, a letter grade of D- or better is considered passing but may be insufficient for use as prerequisites for future courses.  Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in the major, upper division and overall to meet graduation requirements.

I am having difficulties registering for a class even though I meet the prerequisites - what should I do?

For ECE courses, visit the ECE Student Affairs Office in Trailer 380, Room 101 or email

For other departments, contact the department undergraduate advisor

What's the current job outlook for Computer Engineers?

Review "PayScale's College Salary Report - Highest Paying Bachelor Degrees by Salary Potential".

For additional information, the College of Engineering has an excellent Career Services web page that helps undergraduates and graduate students locate jobs and internships.

Are there internship and job opportunities available for Computer Engineering students?

Santa Barbara and the Goleta area are known as being a part of the technology corridor between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Many technology companies are located in our area and contact us seeking students who are interested in participating in internship and employment opportunities. The ECE Student Office regularly sends out email notifications to students about these opportunities. Students are advised to check their UCSB email account on a daily basis for important announcements.

Students are also advised to initiate direct contact with companies and to discuss internship and employment interests with faculty members since many have their own research labs and also have contact with local industry.

UCSB Career Services has an official website for jobs, internships, and campus interviews called Handshake. In addition, Handshake serves as a gateway to subscription services that are free for UCSB students. Also, check out the College of Engineering's Internships & Career Services web page that has information about careers, internships (research and industry) and networking opportunities.

Career Events occur throughout the year and are a great opportunity to see which companies are looking for interns. This is also an excellent chance to network for employment after graduation.

Who do I contact If I am interested in undergraduate research opportunities?

The College of Engineering's Undergraduate Research Opportunities web page has information such as How & When to Get Started, Research Programs and more.

Also, consult directly with CE faculty members who a have similar interests so they can steer you in the right direction. Both faculty research interests and research areas are available on the CE Program website under Areas of Research.

Can I participate in the UCSB Technology Management Program (TMP)?

Yes - students can participate in the TMP.

TMP's educational programs include classes in management, entrepreneurship, new product development, marketing, and much more taught by world-class scholars, highly successful business lecturers and entrepreneurs.

TMP's New Venture Program has launched ventures including several EE and CE senior year projects.

How do I stay up-to-date on deadlines, announcements and notifications such as internships and job opportunities?
Check your email daily.
The class I want to take is full - what can I do to get in it?
  • For ECE classes, see the ECE Student Affairs Office in Trailer 380, Room 101 or email
  • For other department classes, contact the department's undergraduate advisor

2021 Junior Meeting Presentations

This meeting was held in October for all current juniors

CE Undergrad Student Affairs Office

Office Hours: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm & 1:00 – 4:00 pm

Officers and Staff Contacts
  • Luke Theogarajan – ECE Professor, Vice Chair & Undergrad Director
  • Val de Veyra – SAO Manager
    office: Trailer 697, Rm 101
  • Beth English – Undergraduate Advisor
    office: Trailer 380, Rm 101
Question or Info Not Here?
Contact the ECE Undergraduate Advisor
Phone 805.893.8292

Faculty Advisors

Assignments for 2021-22
  • A-C Prof. Li-C. Wang
  • D-I Prof. Forrest Brewer
  • J-L: Prof. Behrooz Parhami
  • M-O: Prof. Zheng Zhang
  • P-R:  Dr. Yoga Isukapalli
  • S-T: Prof. Prof. Jonathan Balkind
  • U-V: Prof. Kaustav Banerjee
  • W-X:  Prof. Yufei Ding
  • Y-Z:  Prof. Li-C. Wang

What Does Each Office Support?

ECE Student Affairs Office

  • Information on ECE Courses (CS Courses - go to the CS Department)
  • Add Codes for ECE Courses
  • Changing major to CE
  • ECE Exceptions (Course Substitutions)
  • Non-CE Majors Who Want to Take ECE Courses
  • CE Advisor Assignments
  • CE Senior Elective Form
  • CE Major Progress Checks
  • CE Course Scheduling and Planning

Trailer 380, Rm 101

COE Undergraduate Affairs Office

  • General Education Requirements
  • Graduation Requirements
  • EE / CE Degree Clearance
  • Petition for Graduation Matters
  • Late Add/Drop Exceptions
  • Academic Probation
  • UCSB/COE Exceptions (course substitutions other than ECE)
  • Education Abroad Program (EAP)
  • Transfer Students

Harold Frank Hall, Rm 1006

Curriculum Info